Online software is nice because it allows you to have your documents (of any form) available anywhere is Internet access. However, you end up being forced to use a lot of services and, the worst part, they never interact.
For example: I was using Microsoft Live Mesh in order to synchronize and backup my files with the cloud. But MS also offered the Office Workspaces where you could store documents. So, I was using 2 services but it was impossible to edit/view a document from Mesh in the SharePoint workspace.
Another example is SkyDrive, with the new feature for editing documents (Office Live Apps). A nice addition, but my documents were in Mesh, not in SkyDrive. So, again, I had everything except the interaction between applications.
I am really excited to say it: they finally (started to) merge all the services! Seems that SkyDrive will the place where everything goes merged:
- SkyDrive offers 25 GB for storage
- Live Mesh will be replaced by Live Sync, which will upload the files on SkyDrive (just 2 out of 25 GB storage limit – strange)
- Office 2010 supports loading and saving from and to SkyDrive
- Office Live Apps are on SkyDrive and documents uploaded through Sync can be edited there Seems that synced files cannot be edited :(
- Live Workspace will be replaced (integrated?) by Office Live Apps
With the Outlook connector I can keep my calendar, contacts and e-mail synchronized with the same cloud. Hopefully a feature for synchronizing tasks will be added soon. Also, mobile synchronization is a must – for my WM phone.
Is really nice that MS is doing a homogeneous environment where everything can be accessed from everywhere. However, the integration is not complete and it would be nice if they could integrate everything from My Phone to Messenger and social networks. Just imagine a single place from where you can do everything without being forced to use many services… [I'm dreaming, right?]