This is a series of different tips and tricks for computer users. It will include: software usage tip, hacks, development tips, hardware tips, etc.
I will try to post tips every day but I don’t know if my schedule will allow me.
When you need to reinstall Windows and/or Outlook you might backup the .pst files (Outlook data files). Unfortunately these files do not contain account information. After reinstall and restore of backup files you need to reenter all information about each account which is a boring process – at least for me because I have 5 e-mail accounts.
If you want to backup accounts information you have to export the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook” key from Registry.
Export accounts’ information:
- Start the Registry Editor (Start -> Run -> “regedit”) – in Windows Vista/7 you need administrative rights to start it.
- Navigate to the previously mentioned branch (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ … ).
- Right click the “Outlook” tree node.
- Choose export.
- Name the file accordingly.
- Click “Save”
After reinstalling Outlook, you have to import the accounts. Follow the steps below for this:
Import accounts’ information:
- Double click the exported file.
- Choose “Yes” when asked if you really want to import.